Tuesday, January 31, 2012

You Have Got To Read This: Where The Wild Things Are

Some people may say I am a wild thing, and I can see their point. I am by no means your "normal" run of the mill type girl. I like things that are big, loud, bright, and different. Some people may say that I am loud, bright, and unique. I like being able to read a book and act parts out. I like making noises and getting rather interactive with a book. (Lets be honest I just like being interactive, period.) As a child this book may not have caught my eye right away, it doesn't have the brightest most beautiful pictures, oh how I missed out. The illustrations are in darker colors but they are fantastic.
"And when he came to the place where the wild things are they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and shower their terrible claws"
How can I not be interactive this such a lovely paragraph as that. Not only is this book interactive, it is one of the best books for reading out-loud. It is just so fun and kids really get into it.
Something that Maurice Sendak did that I really appreciate and was that the boy in the book, Max, was able to be in control of the wild things. What a good message for the kids who are scared of the things under their bed. I am sure that reading this book and showing them how Max could do it would really help them to feel like they could too.
So this book although it doesn't exactly have a sweet little message for moms and dads is an all around fantastic book that I think every family should have. If you don't have this book, or haven't read it...it is about time that you do so. You really have got to read this book.

No comments: